The department of Science and Technology was established in the Year
1983 to develop scientific temper in the society and to uplift the socio economic status of the masses
especially in the rural areas and the weaker section of the society with the input of science and technology.
The department caters the need of science and technology requirements
of the state and takes necessary measures to promote utilization of science and technology for enhancing socio
economic status of the state. Various programmes and activities of the department are executed through well
established regional offices located at Ajmer (H.Q. Jaipur), Bikaner, Kota, Jodhpur and Udaipur. Addition to
these regional offices State Remote Sensing Application Centre, Jodhpur is also working under this Department.
Objectives of the Department
- To take necessary measures to promote utilization of Science and Technology for the
achievement of the socio-economic objectives.
- To identify areas in which science and technology can be utilized for achieving the
socio-economic objectives of the state, and in particular, the objectives of tackling the problems of
backwardness, unemployment and poverty in the rural areas.
- To vigorously foster scientific research in universities and other academic, scientific
and engineering institutions; and attract the brightest young persons to careers in science and
technology, by conveying a sense of excitement concerning the advancing frontiers, and by creating
suitable employment opportunities for them. Also to build and maintain centers of excellence, which will
raise the level of work in selected areas to the highest international standards.
- To initiate, support, promote and co-ordinate such research and development projects, and
programmes (including demonstration projects) as are likely to be relevant to the achievement of
specific objectives and problems and help in the fruitful exploitation of the natural resources of the
State through various institutions and organizations in the state.
- Exploring new areas for extending scope of research activities particularly in areas of
Nanotechnology, Bio technology, satellite communication, etc.
- To promote the popularization of Science and to inculcate scientific temper and attitude
amongst the people of the state and to disseminate scientific knowledge through establishment of Science
City/ Science centers/ Science Parks.
- Assessment of status of Science Education at school level and formulation of Action Plan
for strengthening the Science Education in Rajasthan.
- Collaboration with International/ National Scientific research organizations/ CSIR labs
for exploring new areas of possible technology transfer and Replication of successful technologies in
coordination with line departments of the state.
- Programmed based cooperation/coordination with other scientific bodies and state
- Preparation of Data bases of Natural Resources of State using GIS and Remote Sensing
- Exploring avenues for interface between industry and academia for identification of
specific needs in terms of HR development. Organizing of S &T based entrepreneurship Trainings for
- * Formulation of Science & Technology Vision of Rajasthan
- * Assistance in identification of S & T gaps and preparation of strategy for bridging
- * To strengthen and support creativity of grassroots innovators.
- * To institute prizes and awards for Students and Research & Development work in
Science and Technology.
- * To establish an Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) regime which maximizes the incentives
for the generation and protection of intellectual property by all types of inventors? The regime would
also provide a strong, supportive and comprehensive policy environment for speedy and effective domestic
commercialization of such inventions so as to be maximal in the public interest.